Apply for Benefits

New Customers

You can apply online for Food and Nutrition Services, Medicaid and Energy Assistance at North Carolina ePASS or at Mecklenburg County All Access/

Paper Applications

Printable pdf applications for Food & Nutrition Services, Medicaid, Work First Cash Assistance, Energy Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) and Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) at North Carolina ePASS.

Paper applications can be returned in person, by mail or dropped off at either DSS location.  

Applications can also be returned by fax 704-353-1325.

You can apply by phone or request that an application be mailed to you by calling 704-336-3000.

Walk-in applications are accepted for Work First/TANFMedicaid for AdultsMedicaid for Family and ChildrenFood & Nutrition Services, or Energy: LIEAP & CIP

What do I need? The caseworker will check all electronic data sources and other available records for financial and non-financial eligibility factors.  You may be asked to provide documentation to complete your application if the eligibility information is unavailable within the agency or from electronic data sources.

Examples of eligibility factors:

  • Income                                                                          
  • Residency
  • Identity
  • Enumeration
  • Resources
  • Medical bills
  • Immunization records
  • Proof of household expenses (rent, utilities, etc)

Existing Customers

How do I renew my benefits?

All assistance programs require additional evaluation and renewal at least every 6 or 12 months. If your application is approved, you will receive a notice informing you of benefit beginning and end dates. For additional information about renewals for each program, please call the Economic Services Division Call Center at 704-336-3000. 

Check Application Status

How can I check the status of my application or case renewal? Contact the Economic Services Call Center at 704-336-3000 or use the online request form then open the Check the Status link.

Create and enhance an account on epass:

ACTIVE FNS CASE: or all 1-888-622-7328.